Phu Quoc pearls are one of the most beautiful and valuable pearls in the world with timeless beauty. This precious product always conquers and captivates all visitors when coming to the pearl island.
Phu Quoc pearls are one of the most valuable pearls in the world (Photo: Internet)
Besides the blue sea and white sand, Phu Quoc pearls with timeless beauty and value always charm all visitors. This is a precious gift that anyone wants to own when traveling to Phu Quoc.
1. Why are Phu Quoc pearls so valuable?
1.1. Pearl farming in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc pearl island is an ideal place for pearl farming because it is favored by nature for its calm sea and suitable salinity. Addictionally, mussel farming in Phu Quoc has really full-grown thanks to the inheritance and development of advanced culture techniques of Australia and Japan…
There are two types of cultured pearls, freshwater pearls and saltwater pearls:
- Freshwater pearls are cultured in rivers and lakes and are mostly produced in China.
- Saltwater pearls are cultured in bays. In Vietnam, this type of pearl is mainly cultured in Phu Quoc, Nha Trang and Co To island (Quang Ninh).
Phu Quoc cultured pearls are saltwater pearls of high value (Photo: Internet)
Saltwater pearls have a higher value than freshwater pearls due to the following aspects:
- The culture time of saltwater pearls is longer.
- The transplant procedure is rigorous and the success rate is low.
- Saltwater pearls are of high quality, non-staining, outstanding luster and good self-healing…
At the Phu Quoc pearl culture facility, mussels are raised for a long time according to strict procedures (Photo: Internet)
Pearls are made into expensive jewelry, bringing a luxurious and aristocratic beauty to women. Moreover, pearls are also considered a feng shui item to help the owner meet a lot of prosperity. Phu Quoc pearl powder is also a valuable cosmetic ingredient, used to care and nourish smooth, youthful skin, effectively treat acne and restore skin …
1.2. Phu Quoc pearl culture process
Pearls in Phu Quoc are cultured according to the following process:
- The Phu Quoc pearl culture area will select individual mussels according to strict standards in terms of size, age and gonadal status…
- Perform the procedure of implanting the nucleus into the gonads of the mussels.
- Transfer mussels into large iron cages with standard distances and put them in the culture zone.
- Mussels are nurtured, cared for, monitored for health status, weight and adaptation. Periodically, mussels are brought up and skillfully examined for the pearl-making process.
- Pearls can be harvested after a culture period of 6-12 months; however, these pearls are usually low quality. High-quality pearls are usually kept for 6-8 years or so.
The obtained pearls have many colors such as: ivory white, yellow or black depending on the color of each individual mother.
After nucleation, mussels were raised in a large iron cage with a standard distance (Photo: Internet)
- How much does Phu Quoc pearl jewelry cost?
Phu Quoc pearls are made into many types of jewelry such as rings, bracelets, necklaces with a variety of beautiful and luxurious designs. The value of these pieces of jewelry is classified according to the color, size and quality of the pearl. In particular, the black pearl is the most expensive with the price can be around 1,000 USD/piece.
Next in value are other colored pearls such as gold, pink and finally silver white pearls with a price of about 40-50 USD/piece.
- What products should I buy from Phu Quoc pearls?
Phu Quoc travel itinerary is an ideal opportunity for you to choose to buy for yourself and your loved ones valuable and beautiful jewelry made from pearls:
- Phu Quoc pearl necklace
- Phu Quoc pearl bracelet
- Phu Quoc pearl ring
- Phu Quoc pearl bracelet
- Phu Quoc pearl earrings
Also, you can also choose to buy pearls to craft as you like or skin care products such as: pure pearl powder, Phu Quoc pearl cream, facial cleanser, mineral spray containing powdered ingredients.
- Experience buying Phu Quoc pearls
As a high value product, you need to be very careful to avoid buying fake, poor quality pearl products. The following experiences will help you choose to buy real pearls, ensure quality and sell at the right price.
4.1. Identify types of pearls
First, you need to know what types of pearls are on the market to have a certain understanding to avoid being cheated and losing money unjustly. Specifically, pearls have many types such as:
By origin: Phu Quoc saltwater pearls, Quang Ninh pearls, Nha Trang pearls; Freshwater pearls imported from China.
According to quality: real Phu Quoc pearls, fake pearls made from mixed glue, fake Chinese pearls made from synthetic resin beads.
4.2. Choose to buy at a reputable pearl culture facility
To choose genuine pearls, high quality and right price, you should buy at reputable pearl culture and sales facilities. These facilities offer a wide range of products and offer a warranty against manufacturing defects so you can use them with peace of mind.
If you buy pearls at souvenir stalls and small retail stores, the risk of encountering fake goods with a “hacking” price is very large.
4.3. How to distinguish real and fake pearls
Real Phu Quoc pearls will have the following characteristics, learn to choose the right pearls:
Shape: Although the standard of a pearl is round, it is difficult for real pearls to achieve 100% of this standard, but can be oval, teardrop…
Color: Pearls have popular colors based on the shells of mussels such as: black, pink, gold, silver white… and the surface has 1 or 2 iridescent lusters. Meanwhile, fake jade has a lot of iridescence.
Glossiness: Real pearls often have an uneven luster; fake pearls are evenly coated on all surfaces.
Standard Phu Quoc real pearls: Real pearls have the ability to self-heal scratches upon impact. Based on this feature, you can distinguish real pearls from fake ones by rubbing them on the glass. If after a few rubs, the jade is still shiny, bright, not scratched, peeled, then it is the real thing.